State of Alaska > DOLWD > Labor
Standards & Safety > Occupational
Safety and Health
An AKOSH Cooperative Program
Promoting Safe and Healthful Jobs For Alaskans
Alaska Occupational Safety and Health (AKOSH)
- The Partnership program provides an opportunity for a large, diversified employer or a group of employers to work cooperatively with AKOSH to improve workplace safety and health performance. Acceptance into a partnership by AKOSH is an achievement that will require significant ongoing efforts. The goals of partnership are varied and may include
- Reduce accidents and related costs
- Increase productivity with less down-time & improved employee morale
- Improved industry focus on causes of workplace accidents
- Reduce worker’s compensation costs and reportable injuries
- Establish teamwork and ongoing commitment between AKOSH, the employer and employees to achieve safety and health goals
- Low priority programmed enforcement inspections. Certain sites may qualify for a one year deferral from random enforcement inspections.
To participate in a Partnership, employers must:
- Request a cost-free consultation visit from AKOSH that involves a complete hazard identification survey (1-800-656-4972.);
- A safety and health specialist will review your operation and provide guidance, to help you meet the required standards.
- Involve employees in the consultation process;
- Commit resources to perform ongoing worksite evaluations;
- Correct all identified hazards within a reasonable time period;
- Implement and maintain a safety and health management system that meets or exceeds AKOSH Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines;
- Reduce the incidence of workplace accidents to levels targeted in the partnership agreement;
- Promote workplace safety and health and the goals and achievements of the partnership; and
- Pursue and achieve other goals agreed to by the partners.
Not Quite Ready for Partnership?
- The first step toward making a change to improve workplace safety and health is to assess the workplace hazards and establish potential solutions. This may be accomplished by requesting a comprehensive safety and health consultation. This will help you identify and eliminate workplace hazards without the threat of penalties associated with an enforcement inspection.
AKOSH PARTNERSHIP CONTACT:
Krystyna Markiewicz, Chief
Alaska DOL OSH Consultation and Training
3301 Eagle Street, Suite 305
Anchorage, AK 99503
Toll free in Alaska: 1-800-656-4972
Phone: 907-269-4955 Fax: 907-269-3723
Via e-mail at: email@example.com