Marie Marx, Director
The Division of Workers’ Compensation is the agency charged with the administration of the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Act (Act). The Act provides for the payment by employers or their insurance carriers of medical, disability and reemployment benefits to injured workers. The Division is required to administer the Act in a manner that is both fair and efficient to all parties. In addition to its administrative function, the Division also houses the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Board which hears disputes arising between employees and employers or their insurance carriers regarding the payment of benefits under the Act.
Workers’ Compensation is a system which requires an employer to pay an injured employee’s work-related medical and disability benefits. Workers’ Compensation also requires the payment of benefits to dependents in the case of work-related death. For more information about the workers’ compensation process, click the following links:
You may also email the Division at email@example.com or contact a Division office below.
- The State of Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development Workers' Compensation Board will meet May 3-4, 2018. For additional information, see the Online Public Meeting Notice.
- The State of Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Workers' Compensation Division, Medical Services Review Committee will meet June 15, 2018 and July 13 & 27, 2018. For additional information, see the Online Public Meeting Notice.
- The State of Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Workers' Compensation Division, Workers' Compensation Board & Medical Services Review Committee will meet August 10, 2018. For additional information, see the Online Public Meeting Notice.
The Adjudications Section is responsible for interpreting the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Act in a fair and impartial manner to ensure the quick, efficient and predictable delivery of medical and indemnity benefits to injured workers at a reasonable cost to employers and insurance carriers.
The Special Investigations Unit was established within the Division of Workers’ Compensation to investigate fraudulent workers’ compensation claims. Workers’ compensation fraud includes any false or misleading acts or statements made for the purpose of obtaining benefits under the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Act. The Special Investigations Unit also investigates uninsured employers who can be fined up to $1,000 per employee work day for each day they remain uninsured.
Workers' Compensation Fraud Hotline - 1-888-372-8330
The Medical Services Review Committee assists the Workers’ Compensation Board and the Department of Labor and Workforce Development concerning medical and services related costs.
The Reemployment Benefits Section administers the provision of reemployment benefits to qualifying injured workers. Injured workers who qualify for these benefits may elect to undergo vocational retraining paid for by the employer.
Special Funds Units:
- Workers' Compensation Benefits Guaranty Fund (Fund) was established in 2005 to provide workers' compensation benefits to workers injured on the job while working for an uninsured employer. A claim may be filed against the Fund following a finding by the Board that the employer is responsible for and fails to pay benefits under the Act.
- Fishermen's Fund provides for treatment and care of Alaska's licensed commercial fishermen who are injured or become ill due to fishing-related activities on shore in Alaska or in Alaska waters.
- Second Injury Fund provides benefits to employers for claimants who have a permanent physical impairment.
Workers’ Compensation Appeals Commission hears appeals from decisions of the Alaska Workers Compensation Board in cases decided by the Board after November 7, 2005.
Workers' Compensation Offices
P.O. Box 115512, Juneau AK 99811-5512
1111 W 8th St, Rm 305, Juneau AK 99801
Tel: (907) 465-2790
Fax: (907) 465-2797
3301 Eagle Street, Suite 304
Anchorage AK 99503
Tel: (907) 269-4980
Fax: (907) 269-4975
675 Seventh Ave, Station K
Fairbanks, AK 99701-4531
Tel: (907) 451-2889
Fax: (907) 451-2928
P.O. Box 111149
Juneau, AK 99811-1149
Tel: (907) 465-2766
Fax: (907) 465-2797
3301 Eagle Street, Suite 301
Anchorage, AK 99503-4149
Tel: (907) 269-4985
Fax: (907) 334-2619
|State Employee Claims
Penser North America Inc.
PO Box 241148
Anchorage, AK 99524
Phone: (907) 313-7650
Fax: (907) 302-3803